Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Republicans Plan to Serve Mexican on Election Night, The Cuisine Not the People

Here's an simple exercise for you.  Take a pad of paper and write the following words down the left side of the paper: White and Non-White. Have a friend drive you around town for five minutes, or sit on a busy street corner, and tally up the number of people that fall into these two categories (Please send results to ME!). I sat on the corner of Ben White and S. 1st Street for five minutes and counted 38-"Whites" and 117-"Non-Whites." Your results may be a little different than mine depending on where you live, but here in South Austin where I live my results favored, "Non-Whites". Now this is a very unscientific survey, but it opened my eyes to the diversity of cultures that reside in my district, or at least pass through.  I understand that "Non-White" is a broad category, and it lumps a large number of minority groups into one bucket. But that is my point. When all the minority groups are grouped together they can easily become a majority, thusly making the "White" category a minority to "Non-Whites." The only way that the "White" category can regain it's status of majority is to break the "Non-White" category up, and whittle the numbers down into more specific ethnic groups: Asian, Hispanic, African-American, Native American, Middle Eastern, etc..

In the Statesman article, "Feds: Texas voting maps deliberately discriminated" by Will Weissert writes about the declaration by the U.S. Justice department that, "Texas lawmakers carefully crafted electoral maps marginalizing minority voters despite the state’s exploding Hispanic population in a deliberate effort to racially discriminate and protect conservative incumbents." This is nothing new.  Whites have historically be bad at playing fair with the voting rights of black and/or brown people in Texas, SEE: Juneteenth, SEE: Jim Crow Laws.  We live in a state that has been run by white men since the days of the Republic of Texas, and there is a "fear of loss" mentality going on with the remaining whites in power.  Gerrymandering(redrawing voting districts), is the only way to control an election outcome. We all know it is shady business. 

I appealed to some of my facebook friends to give me their opinions on this article:


Most of the responses I got were like this:



One friend messaged me personally(I have removed her name by request):


The racial divides run deep in this country, and I'm not trying to solve racism in this post.  Because of my ethnic background I am sensitive to this subject.  My mother's family is from The Valley deep in the south of Texas.  My family tree pre-dates the Republic of Texas, and I've always just felt lucky that when the line was drawn my ancestors were on the northern side. But nearly 200 years later, some of the people that helped build this State are still treated like second-class citizens. With the recent flood of immigrants from Central and South America these racial divisions are beginning to bubble to the surface.  It's almost as predictable as the backlash after President Obama took office.


The White Majority will constantly work to divide the darker classes to keep them weak. But if the minority classes can band together that can start to remove some of the racist practices that are going on in our local government and set a tone for the rest of the country. My grandfather used to tell a story about how, "the Hispanics in Texas were like crabs in a bucket, as soon as one reaches the rim and starts to pull themselves up another crab will reach up to pull them selves up as well and they both fall back in the bucket." Let's start helping each other out of the damn bucket.


No comments: